Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Hands on the Hips


Almost every girl does this, and I only started realizing it through Facebook. Girls get together in a group photo and obnoxiously put their hands on their hips for a pose. What the hell is that? Did you all get together and decide this is going to be the one and only way girls will pose from now on. I mean I can’t even remember what photos used to look like PHOH (pre-hands-on-hips.) Although I vaguely remember a short HIP era (hands in pockets.)

So, what is it ladies? I’m not saying you don’t occasionally look good in this rigid pose. Well, some of you don’t, but that’s for other reasons. But, for some reason, it comes off a little arrogant to me. It’s almost speaking to me, “I’m so cool. I’m too good for you. Look how awesome I look now that my hands are confidently resting on my hips.”

I have one theory. Perhaps it helps with posture, giving support to the breasts and popping that ass out. Which is nice. Am I right, though? Who knows. It’s just a theory I’ve been throwing around for some time. Perhaps man will never know the answer.

Is it a conscious decision to do this? I know a lot of times I’ll take a picture of a group of girls, and then they’ll all gather around and look at it. Obviously looking to see how they individually look, rather than as a whole. Then. Oh no. I didn’t put my hands on my hips. Can we take another picture? That one didn’t come out right. Boom. The hands go right back to the hips. All is well again in HOH picture etiquette.

If there are any ladies reading this - which for God sakes I hope there’s at least one or two – can you please explain this phenomenon? Until then I will assume you are just rubbing it in our face with that insufferable pose.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to present a witty comment, but even tho I struggled for an answer for a minute..nada. Instead I offer up this question (and a possible future Pasquinade). WHY, when men are talking to each other, do they stand with arms folded across chest and legs spread no less than a yard stick apart. It always seems so primal and just weird. Now THIS may actually be for balance, but perhaps it is a "my stuff is bigger than yours" pose. Does this help?

The New York Pasquinade said...

I can't speak for all men, but I know when I do it, it is specifically because, "My stuff is bigger than yours."

Unknown said...

it's so your arms look normal. no one likes the smooshed arm fat pressed against your body pic. give the ladies a little credit...they do it for you boys!

The New York Pasquinade said...

Ah, the things women do for their men...